You could sell your house on a whim and intentionally spend the money on a year of retirement, reconnecting with your kids and then use a credit card for the next year while you figure out what is available for income. But, only really silly, crazy people do such irresponsible things like that. (awkward smile) Thankfully, there is a better way for you!
There are some travelers who live on savings, retirement, Social Security, or inheritance. Most of us out here on the road still have bills to pay and need income to pursue this lifestyle. To get your mind whirling about how you can take your knowledge, your passions, and skills to creatively make income while traveling, I have gathered a list of some ways I know people make income while on the road.
Full-Time Traveling Jobs
- Graphic Design
- Web & App Development
- Software Engineering
- Other IT Work
- Authoring Subscription Websites
- Virtual Assistant Jobs
- Real Estate Investment
- Rental Property Management
- RV Related Small Businesses (repair, sunshades)
- Commercial Construction
- Contract Cable Technician
- Corporate Career (commuting out of the nearest airport)
- Travel Nursing
- Medical Transcription
- Ebay Selling
- Truck Driving
- Hauling Freight (truck & trailer)
- Temp Services
- Insurance Sales
- Claims Adjustment
- Education Services
- Teaching Resources
- Authoring books & eBooks
- Travel Writing
- Freelance Writing Jobs
- Festival Vending
- Craft/Art Show Circuit Sellers
- Etsy Store Owner
- Selling Online Products
- Personal Coaching
- Interim Innkeeping
- Seasonal Jobs (National Parks, Ski Resorts, Ranches, Amazon, Christmas trees and fireworks booths)
How You Can Make Money and Travel
You can make income and travel. The options are abounding! Perhaps you keep your current job, but downsize your home and take part-time hours to allow more availability for traveling. We have met small business owners who work typical 9-5 jobs, then after paying some bills, take a few weeks off to travel in their RV. Some leave their RV at the last destination and fly in to pick up where they left off. With just a little creativity you can find a way to simplify your life and live your dreams.
Questions to Ponder
- In your current career, could you do the work from home? (telecommuting jobs work well with travel)
- Does it matter where you live, do you fly to your jobs anyway?
- Can your family move with you via RV as you do your current contract work?
- Are there optional ways to use your knowledge and refine it to a telecommuting job?
- What area are you knowledgeable in that others would pay to learn more about? (sell eBooks, be a Life/Health/Organization Coach, speak at conferences, write for magazines about your niche topic)
- Are there products you can sell online that interest you?
- What multiple streams of income could equal one full time job, particularly any passive income options which you can use to start building income today?
Coolworks -unique jobs with seasonal positions, and jobs with free RV sites.
Odesk -find freelance work opportunities.